‘Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all’. With that in mind, social outreach programmes and community events form part and parcel of R.E.A.L Schools’ list of annual extracurricular activities and events to provide students with opportunities to make a difference in society while espousing exemplary, lifelong values.
Earlier this year, R.E.A.L Schools National, Shah Alam Campus went on a large-scale excursion to several charity homes and community centres to do their bit in helping the less privileged and conserving the environment.
The project involved a total of 45 teachers and 430 students from Senior 1 to 5 who were divided into 10 groups; with each group assigned to a specific venue to carry out activities such as cleaning, painting, planting trees, collecting rubbish, playing fun games and activities, as well as donating household items. The visited locations were:
- Pusat Jagaan Titian OKU, Rawang;
- Pusat Jagaan Kanak-Kanak Cacat, Taman Megah;
- Agathians Shelter, Petaling Jaya;
- Taman Botani, Shah Alam;
- Sekolah Perlindungan dan Pemulihan Asraf Riqab, Puncak Alam;
- Rumah Amal Kasih Bestari, Kampung Melayu Subang;
- Anbe Sivan Charity House, Klang;
- Pusat Jagaan Kanak-Kanak Rumah Harapan, Bandar Puteri Klang;
- Great Heart Community Centre, Lakeside Kota Kemuning; and
- Great Heart Community Centre, Klang
Espousing the importance of collaborating with communities and one’s civic duty and responsibilities to students is in line with R.E.A.L’s core values of Character and Collaboration. This latest social outreach initiative by R.E.A.L Schools, Shah Alam Campus aims to transform lives and communities by creating lifelong awareness among students on the plight of the underprivileged and environment.